- The only epic poem in English Literature is ...................................
- Answer: Paradise Lost by John Milton
- The epic poem Paradise Lost consisted of 10 books in the beginning and later got rearranged to 12 books.
- It was first printed in 1667.
- In Paradise Regained, Milton presented the restoration of man. It is plain and comprehensive.
- Answer: In Thomas Gray's Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard.
- This elegy does not refer to anybody's death directly, but it laments the suppressed condition of the villagers.
- Answer: 154
- The first 126 sonnets are addressed to a young man, who is unknown.
- Sonnets 127-152 has been addressed to a dark lady.
- Shakespeare has also written two long narrative poem - Venus and Adonis (1593) and The Rape of Lucrece (1594).
b) The Nightingale
c) The Foster Mother's Tale
d) The Dungeon
- Later Wordsworth added a preface to the poetic collection in 1800
- Some of Wordsworth's comments were criticized by Coleridge in Biographia Literaria.(1817)